Discover the many exciting opportunities available to you at Peterson Companies, an industry leader and an equal opportunity employer.
A Culture That Feels Like Family
Collaborative. Respectful. Supportive. Dynamic. For over the past 50 years, Peterson Companies has created an environment where individuals experience tremendous opportunities to do their best work. It’s no wonder people work with us for the better part of their careers. Peterson Companies fuels employees’ passion to excel, and provides a clear path to success.
Working at Peterson Companies, you enjoy a variety of benefits and incentives designed to address the practical needs of you and your family. As an essential part of your full compensation package, these benefits are focused on what matters most to you. Along with the standard benefits you find at most companies, we offer more.
- Company Paid Holiday Break (Peterson Companies closes for the period after Christmas Day until New Year’s Day)
- Professional Training & Development Programs
- Access to Corporate Fitness Center
- Annual Employee Awards
- Corporate Events & Parties
- Ticket Raffles to Sporting & Entertainment Events
Because of the volume of resumes we receive, we are not able to confirm receipt or give updates on the hiring process. Please continue to check this website for updates. Once the position is filled, it will be removed from this website.
The Land Planning Manager assists the company with its land planning efforts for new and existing Mixed-Use, Retail, Residential, and Office developments. Responsibilities include land use and site analyses; conceptual and detailed project layouts, site plans, and visualizations; evaluating and refining land plans prepared by outside architects and engineers; skills with GIS mapping and analysis are desired, but not required.
- Conduct land use, entitlements, and site plan analyses to present feasible solutions within various local jurisdictions; work should be communicated graphically and/or verbally and may require a research and/or demographic component.
- Produce 2D and 3D site plan graphics and renderings that address: Location, Density and Configuration of Uses, Parking, Ingress and Egress, Public Spaces and Service Areas, and Development Tabulation through multiple iterations.
- Work collaboratively with Research, Marketing, and Retail Leasing teams to help inform planned or existing development and leasing efforts and assist with the production of associated graphic and digital content.
- Evaluate and Solve site design issues with planned or existing projects as they arise.
- If GIS skills present, maintain company Land Planning and GIS databases, focusing on the responsible collection, maintenance, use, and archiving of digital databases, reference libraries, folder structures, and other digital assets.
Required Skills & Experience
- Knowledge of Mixed Use, Retail, Residential, and Office standards and concepts.
- Advanced knowledge of Civil, Landscape Architectural, and Architectural standards and concepts.
- Advanced skills with AutoCAD required; advanced skills with SketchUp Pro required; skills with other 2D and 3D CAD software a plus.
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree in Landscape Architecture, Urban Design, Architecture, or a related field and at least 5+ years of professional experience in site planning and design, including CAD and digital graphic skills. Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Must be an assertive self-starter with the ability to work independently and as a key member of a team.
- Must be proactive, strategic, and forward thinking in the execution of duties with strong organization and time management skills.
- Must be detail oriented with exceptional analytical and problem solving abilities.
- Must have strong communication and interpersonal skills for interaction both within the company and with outside interests.
- May be required to perform duties outside of normal work hours and on the weekends.
- Must enjoy the satisfaction of a job well done and having fun with an accomplished and creative team.
Please respond with letter of interest, current resume, and professional portfolio.Submit Your Resume
The Retail Tenant Coordination Department is responsible primarily for getting tenants in the Company’s existing and development centers open and paying rent. The team oversees the design, permitting, and construction requirements for tenant build-outs to ensure that they are completed on time, within budget, and to the standards required by the Company, the project, and consistent with our commitments to our customers.
Additionally, the Retail Tenant Coordination Department is responsible for the planning, cost estimating, design, permitting, and execution of Capital Improvement Projects in existing centers.
To those ends, the Manager of Retail Tenant Coordination is a “player-coach” who:
- Leads and manages all aspects of the Retail Tenant Coordination Department; and
- Has direct project-level responsibility on various existing and planned centers of the Company.
The individual serving in this role must be technically sophisticated, collaborative, urgent, customer oriented (internally and externally), process-driven, and focused on delivering high quality work, whether in the planning or execution phase of an assignment. This person must be a critical thinker and a problem solver.
Partnering with Leasing, Legal, Property Management, and Development as stakeholders, the Manager will ensure that the Tenant Coordination Department opens stores on time and on budget to maximize NOI while delivering best-in-class retail design and will complete Capital Improvement Projects on time and on budget to enhance the value of existing centers.
Leadership and Management Responsibilities
The Manager – Tenant Coordination, Retail will be responsible for managing a staff currently consisting of an Assistant Tenant Coordinator. As such, the Manager will be responsible for determining the department’s staffing needs, hiring if appropriate, and helping the team grow its technical proficiency and capabilities. More specifically, the Manager will:
- Conduct Retail Tenant Coordination team meetings to build teamwork, trust, talent, commitment and alignment on project priorities and department programs/policies and procedures.
- Conduct performance appraisals, compensation/bonus reviews, competency reviews and establish department goals and individual performance objectives which align with Retail Department and Company goals.
- Demonstrate business, financial and administrative acumen. Establish departmental budgets, project budgets and tracking procedures, which include approving invoices and monitoring compliance with the stated budget(s).
- Maintain a professional and positive atmosphere that permits the highest level of individual and collective departmental performance.
- Build confidence, trust and respect in the Retail Tenant Coordination Department among internal stakeholders such as the Leasing, Legal, Property Management, Development, and Lease Administration groups. Be influential, timely and effective in communication, conflict resolution, and problem-solving. Similarly, build trust with outside stakeholders such as tenants, designers, consultants, contractors, and governmental plan reviewers and inspectors.
- Working with key stakeholders, ensure that resources and processes are in place to maximize the Retail Department’s effectiveness in (i) executing leases and fulfilling Landlord obligations under them and (ii) undertaking renovation and repositioning efforts on existing assets.
- In support of leasing efforts, review current processes (summarized in the attached flow chart) for the approval of tenant construction and design documents, including signage, and work with key stakeholders to identify and implement changes to this process.
- Serve on the architectural review boards or design review committees for its projects as requested by the Company.
The Manager will be directly responsible for providing tenant coordination services for a portion of the existing and/or planned Retail portfolio. As such, s/he will work with the Leasing, Legal, Property Management, and/or Development groups to implement tenant buildouts on time and on budget.
The Manager will also support Property Management with the planning and execution of Capital Improvement Projects in existing centers, also on time and on budget.
In these capacities, this person will manage the design, permitting, and construction of Landlord Work obligations under leases and for Capital Improvement Projects. As such, s/he will play a leadership role in determining the scope, schedule, and budget of these efforts. More specifically:
- Support Leasing and Legal by reviewing tenant work letters and helping negotiate those at the LOI and lease stages of the transaction. This will include, but is not limited to, overseeing preparation of Condition Surveys, Test Fits, LODs, and other relevant documents and exhibits.
- Support Leasing and Legal by preparing realistic and accurate cost estimates and schedules (consistent with established property budgets) for proposed Landlord Work. In some cases these may have been obtained from outside firms; review and evaluate.
- Support Property Management and/or Development by preparing summaries of critical dates established in leases for completion of Landlord Work and managing to them.
- Retain and manage architects, engineers, contractors, and other consultants needed to complete Landlord Work obligations under leases and for Capital Improvement Projects.
- Coordinate with Lease Administration to ensure that there is a timely processing of legal notices (Premise Availability/Premise Delivery letters).
- Ensure tenants’ construction activities, whether new store build-outs or remodels, are completed in accordance with the terms of their leases and that this work meets the Landlord’s architectural design and appearance standards. This scope includes reviewing, commenting, and approving or rejecting tenant plans; assisting tenants with their permitting efforts as needed; and observing work performed directly by the Tenants to understand their schedule’s status, to confirm compliance with approved plans, and to preclude negative impacts on other tenants and the operation of the center.
- Oversee the resolution of all tenant issues associated with Landlord/Tenant construction obligations that are defined in the Lease.
- Work with Property Managers to develop five-year plans for all centers; troubleshoot and find solutions to maintenance issues (leaks, asphalt, etc.); bid and oversee selected repairs/capital improvements (e.g., roof, façade, parking lot, lighting upgrades); and work with Property Managers to develop unit pricing guides and standard spec sets and contracts.
- Minimum of 10+ years of experience in Retail Construction Management, ideally working for landlords or alternatively for tenants or contractors. This experience, with a focus on interior tenant build-outs, should include a wide range of tenant sizes from small in-line tenants of 1,000 sf or less up to anchor tenants of 40,000 sf or more. This experience should include work building out tenant spaces in new centers as well as in second generation space.
- The ideal candidate will demonstrate an ability to drive high-quality design and aesthetics by both the landlord and tenants.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture, Engineering, Construction Management or Interior Architecture is required or equivalent education and experience.
Seeking an energetic, professional, personable individual to become a key part of a dynamic team responsible for management and marketing of XYZ centers. The Property Assistant (PA) position assists with the day‐to‐day functions of the project. He/she also serves as the liaison to the public, commercial clients, owners and contractors. This individual reports to the Property Manager and supports the marketing team. BA/BS preferred.
- Support Property Manager.
- Answers phones and greets visitors at the management office.
- Maintain physical and electronic archives ensuring the various filing systems stay organized.
- Maintain and update as necessary all tenant essential contact information and promotional address listings.
- Track all tasks, projects and checklists pertaining to the properties including but not limited to insurance, roof leak calls, vendor invoice inquiries and work order logs.
- Manage onsite office including maintaining office supplies, contracts and conference room scheduling.
- Prepare work orders, contracts, drafting memos, letters.
- Make and answering phone calls for multiple lines.
- Prepare report packages for meetings.
- Take meeting minutes.
- Conduct property visits and identify tasks, issues or projects to address.
- Obtain contract bids – Snow removal, landscaping, maintenance/repairs, etc.
- Hold meetings with vendors to review anticipated work, work performance and or to close out specific jobs.
- Support marketing team with events and promotions when needed.
- Perform any other administrative duties as assigned.
- Maintain and update master invoice coding sheets for all assigned projects.
- Process invoices through Nexus System (web based payables system) for approval of manager. This includes:
- Research any past due amounts and note the information on the invoice.
- Working with/negotiating with vendors when discrepancies or outstanding balances are found.
- Maintain additional payment schedules, track project costs.
- Complete internal check requests as needed.
- Create Direct Tenant Billings as needed (invoicing tenants).
- Maintain, complete and administer the tracking of all property utility usage, charges and trends.
- Team point of contact for partnership and third party invoice processing/tracking.
One of the most respected and successful real estate companies in the country, Peterson Companies has an extensive 50 + year history in the development and acquisition of commercial, residential, and mixed-use properties, with over $3 billion of assets owned and managed. Headquartered in Northern Virginia, the privately-owned company has professionals in all facets of the development process, including design and construction, project management, land planning and zoning, legal, accounting, property management, leasing, and project finance. Peterson projects are some of the most iconic in the Washington metropolitan region including National Harbor, Fair Lakes, Downtown Silver Spring, Washingtonian, Fairfax Corner and Virginia Gateway. The firm has developed over 28 million square feet of commercial space (2.8 million sf in secure federal government buildings) and 31,000 residential single- and multi-family units. The company’s current pipeline for future development consists of 2.4 million square feet of commercial (over 370 acres) and over 1,800 residential units.
As part of their long-term strategy to ensure world-class leadership, a new Vice President is being recruited to join the development team. Bringing a strong construction background, with extensive project management experience, the successful candidate will initially manage several important projects with the support of the internal team. Over time, this executive will help envision, organize and lead a cohesive, disciplined, design and construction team that can support all projects in the company. He/She will have the opportunity to become an indispensable leader in the organization.
Oversee full-cycle construction planning and management for multiple projects, including supervision of the team, external partners, contractors and consultants. As such, the successful candidate will also:
- Optimize design, constructability, and overall value of each project;
- Ensure consistency between development concept and construction documents;
- Oversee cost, schedule, and constructability information during design/development phase;
- Oversee site development, including site work, infrastructure construction, permitting and entitlements;
- Provide guidance for scheduling and assign responsibilities to ensure timely completion of each project;
- Manage financial control and accountability by understanding each project’s financial structure and restrictions;
- Provide a seamless transition from construction through operations.
- Provide a proven track record, including at least 10-12 years of increasingly responsible development and construction project management experience across a range of property types;
- Expertise and detailed knowledge of construction, building codes, site construction and construction documentation;
- Organizational and leadership skills that demonstrate the ability to manage and motivate a variety of skilled professionals managing multiple projects simultaneously;
- Ability to interact effectively with finance, and marketing professionals, contractors, architects, governmental agencies, as well as a range of executives and personnel within Peterson Companies;
- Strong financial acumen with the ability to analyze and assist in the preparation of financial projections, budgets and proformas;
- Demonstrated integrity, work ethic, reliability, dependability and ability to work within deadlines;
- Excellent judgment, strong reporting, negotiating, interpersonal, and communication skills;
- Undergraduate degree required (preferably in engineering or construction) ; graduate degree preferred (ideally MBA or MS in Real Estate).