Over the years, The Peterson Companies has built a healthy reputation for responsible land use by combining exceptional development and architectural design with a rare sensitivity for the environment. We believe that responsible land use should thoughtfully balance community, business, and the environment. Our active pursuit of these principles strongly compliments our core values of leadership, quality, and integrity. Our belief in responsible land use differentiates us from our competition because The Peterson Companies not only understands the balance between community, business, and the environment -- we create it.
Wetland Mitigation Bank & Stream Restoration
Wetland mitigation bank and stream restoration projects facilitate responsible land use and also create robust and diverse ecosystems. The Peterson Companies has partnered with Wetland Studies and Solutions, Inc. to develop and manage wetland mitigation bank and stream restoration projects. To date, we have constructed over 1,000 acres of wetlands. In addition to providing larger environmental benefits, our projects have also evolved into virtual parks that are used as education and recreation centers for the community, including the boy scouts and elementary schools.
High-Performance & Sustainable Buildings
At The Peterson Companies, we have established strong experience and expertise in the development and management of high-performance and sustainable buildings. We developed the first LEED Gold certified building in Virginia and currently have six buildings registered under the U.S. Green Building Council's LEED certification system. The Peterson Companies is a proud member of the U.S. Green Building Council and a proud partner of the ENERGY STAR program.
- 2006 NAIOP National Green Development Award Runner-Up - WSSI
- 2006 NAIOP Northern Virginia NAIOP Award of Excellence - Best Environmentally Responsible Building - WSSI
- 2005 Fairfax Recycling Award - Fair Lakes
- 2000 Northern Virginia NAIOP National Award of Excellence - Best Environmentally Responsible - North Fork Wetlands Bank
- NAIOP's Julie J. Metz Wetlands Bank Winner - Energy and Environmental Award - Joint venture wetlands bank on Nebasco Creek
- Northern Virginia Association of Realtors - Community Appearance Awards for Site Planning, Tree Conservation, and Reforestation
- Northern Virginia Soil and Water Conservation District Annual Awards - Outstanding Soil Conservation Practices
- National Capital Area Energy Conservation Award of Excellence and Special Achievement Award
- Fairfax County Tree Conservation Awards